Search This Blog

2018-10-23

Nunhead cemetery




You've read my entry's title right, I went to Nunhead cemetery in London just a couple weeks ago, and so, with this blog post I'll share some photos I took there, and in my next entries shall other locations from this trip, and thus, break the radio silence on this blog.


We thought weather would been too cold for me in London, as it's October, so I chose extra sweaters (UK: jumpers) and left my heavy Fuji camera at home. Instead, I took the point-and-shoot Kodak Z915, which is also a 10MP but smaller, lighter than the Fuji, but also more limited. I also used the 16MP interpollated camera in the Cubot X18 smartphone for additional photos in this trip, but not in the cemetery. 

I'm using to shooting with my heavy, bulky camera, and so using any lighter model has always been a challenge. Actually, the lighter a camera is, the more difficult I find it to use and shoot with it, because I cannot stabilize it as easily with my hands, and even holding my breath for clicking is tough to do for long enough. 

I used the automatic setup, as the manual mode in the Kodak is limited. Thus, for the photos ahead, you'll see less definition and more apparent editing, because I indeed had to resort to more extensive Gimp editing. These include White balance, contrast, exposure and/or brightness, shadows & highlights, overall or hue saturation, sometimes color temprature. 

I think the most apparent are in this first photo here, which is a feral parakeet, which was perched high up on a tree, and even with the Kodak's X10 zoom, there was no way to get any clearer or closer shot. 



My wife's friend, Iris, had come ot meet us at the cemetery. At some point her & I went deeper into the bushes, leaving my wie behind for a few minutes. We saw this mostly erased mosoleum which was really hard to photograph, as I has almost no space to back track and the Kodak has no wide angle. So, I stood where I could and shot several photos from different angles. 

You can see here h






I also saw a robin hover and land over there, but the only photos weren't clear enough to post. On the way out from these bushes, I saw two statues. They seem to convey quite a deep sorrow, don't they ? They both also seem to have either been made with partial arms, or have been damaged.






Tombstones... 




...and crosses are quite ornate in Nunhead




 ...and also very overgrown by vegetation 




There are, off course, trees, many more trees than most cemeteries in our city. I liked the shape this one makes, and in my edit, I chose to exacerbate a bit the  green. 



I also liked these small pieces, at ground level. Aren't they cute? 



Despite lacking my camera, editing a bit more in Gimp helped saving some otherwise uninteresting photos. I hope you enjoyed this little presentation, though I had nothing compreheive enough for a blog series. Sometimes, lacking gear is more than a challenge, especially if said gear is the main one: the camera does play some kind of role in the end result, not just my eye, but also the camera's censor and capabilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment