Search This Blog

2018-11-04

The National gallery



If you look at the National Gallery's map (official pdf) you'll see that it lists about 60 rooms and galleries, housing paintings from 1200-1930 or so. Wiki announces that it was founded in 1824 and houses 2,300 paintings in all that space. 



I have to say that I wished for more variety in art, to propose more than paintings, and more secular ones as well, because I felt overwhelmed with all the religious art. 

Indeed, apart for the Van Gogh's paintings, which must been seen in person as you can see how much they convey his inner turmoil, with every stroke of his brush, I felt very few other paintings interested me. Sadly, I couldn't even get a photo of, or by, Van Gogh ; there was an entire family taking turns there, and I didn't have the time to wait for each one to be done with their individual portrait, so I moved on. 

Van Gogh was in room 43. Before, and afer arriving there, we visited most of the other ones, and saw some cool art, from which I'll now propose those which I photographed with my phone, Cubot X18. Its front camera has a Sony censor. 

Important disclaimer : none of the photos here is meant as copyright infrigment, only to document this mueseum's visit, and all credits and copyrights go to their rightful holders. 

I'll start with this... which made me laugh. I'll title it "let me wash your ditty feet, Sire, just put it you da bassin, like so". 




I like these next few paintings, all by the same artist (whose name eludes me at the moment). I edited the highlights down, as there was a lot more blurring light on the very first of this series, and less on the other two. 

There's a 3D aspect to each, especially the first and third,look like they are about to pop out of the frame! 

I like the tender look of the first face... 


the melancholoy of this second, presumed a poet


& the most 3D, ready to pop out of the frame - he looks quite proud of himself, doesn't he ?



I actually took a photo of the note next to this one. It's by Sebastiano del Piombo, and I concur with the main theory that this is Salome, holding John the baptist' s head. The other theory is that it represents Judith with the head of Holofernes. Either way, del Pimbo offers a macabre, and yet not too gory imagery, whereas most show the head with blood. 



This next piece made me think of a movie poster, and I cannot un-see it. Can you ? or can't you? 


The best dresser, isn't ? I love how the artist rendered the lace, and gave a lively face to the woman depicted here. 



Although am not into this kind of paintings, I can see how talented the artist was at creating a tremendous perspective, with all these houses and gondolas, siimply astounding!



A small break between paintings, I present one of the domes as seen from within. I only slightly reduced the highlight and conserved the best white balance available. 




In the connecting corridor, between galleries, this woman's expression is priceless. She looks so bored out of her mind, to pose in this fashion! (there was no getting rid of the bright reflection above her head! The painting was quite high so I had no control over the angle, and post editing could reduce it, but it also cost other elements, so I minimized this effect). 



This one, on the other hand, poses and is rather proud.  I love the floral dress, and the reflection of her back in the mirror - which,to me, seems absolute talent by the artist. 



I keep seing an older Gary Oldman here, do you ? (no, it's not him, but could be related). 


I finish with this auster looking woman, and her dog. 

 Really, her dog steals it!


In my last entry, I'll show you all from out trip to Oxford! stay tuned! and thanx for having read thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment