Search This Blog

2017-09-05

Gear - my past and present cameras

My first camera wasn’t an actual camera, but a webcam that I could detach and use for photography. It’s definition was a mere 2 MP. This webcam was quite small, as you can see.  My photos were quite blurry and with a lot of noise, even in broad daylight. 

I used it for quite a while, but only sporadically. I disliked its limitations, even though I was only a total noob. I felt I needed more than a point-and-shoot-a-blurred-photo camera, and didn’t keep much of the resulting shots once I upgraded. 

Here are its specs





My first real camera was a 6 MP bridge camera - the discontinued Sony DSC-H2. 



Amongst its features, the most important one for me was that it used AA batteries, and could be compatible with rechargeable NiMh AA batteries. 

Indeed, I didn’t like the idea of Li-ion (lithium) batteries, due to their price, need for specific chargers, and huge impact on the environment as they cannot be recycled at all.

In regards to AA, I only use rechargeable ones, and shall address their advantages in a whole separate entry. 

That sony camera had zoom - X12 for optical, and that was furthered to X24 with the help of a digital zoom, both operated in the same button. I used that zoom a lot! For those who know the meaning, the focal range equivalent in 35mm is 36-432 mm. 

That model was very easy to use, except for the semi and full manual modes, which I had to learn, and which is logical that you would if you had no prior knowledge in photography techniques. 

The specs (which you can see in this pdf )  weren’t huge, not by any modern account, especially compared to DSLR’s and other high-end mirror-less or hybrid cameras, but back then, it was the best I could afford, and since I had been a faithful Sony user for other high-tech items, they were my first choice. 

I had it for several years, and used it in many hikes and even when I worked for a mobile library unit, as I was on the passenger seat of that truck. 

I have quite a few fond memories and immortalized moments, especially of bugs and birds, with this camera, but also landscapes and other travels. 

But, as time passed, the need for improvement came. I upgraded to a 10MP bridge camera, which is my current : Fuji HS10 (it’s specs). 



Again, the first spec I looked at was the compatibility with rechargeable nimh AA batteries, but also liked the ideas of a tiltable screen, improved manual mode, and especially response in low-light, which was a huge problem for my previous Sony camera. 

My zoom range this time was expanded from X12 (optical)/x24 (digital) on the Sony, to X30 (optical) in the Fuji, with focal lengths of 24-720mm (in 35mm equivalent). 
(compared to 36-432 of the Sony). 
This allows me to see farther away subjects. My wish to photograph birds hasn’t been granted too often, as my area seems to have them in remote places I don’t tend to go to, and the one place I keep hiking in is a forest where they hide... 

This zoom has, however, helped in better moon photos, and more detailed macros, especially since this camera allows, in super-macro mode, to get quite close to the subject (1CM!), useful when I don’t take my macro attachement. 

While the Sony zoom was operated by a button AND used energy from the battery, the one on this Fuji is fully manual. With this choice, Fuji helps conserve a bit of energy, which really helps as there are 4AA in this model (compared to 2 in the Sony). 

In the past 4 years, this has been my main gear, sometimes using raw files and Fuji’s converter into JPEG, as I learned the need to start editing in this period, to better showcase my photos. I retained my wish to be close to natural views, with fewest alterations, unless I wanted to create something artistic out of a particular photo. 

In just about 10 or so years, I have passed from a 2 to 6 to 10 MP cameras. In this lapse, I have also learned more technique, and improved my eye as well as skills, though I by no means consider myself on pro-level. I’m not a total noob either, and wish to help others with my meager knowledge, and to share some of my favorite shots. I cannot post everything, not when my hard drive contains thousands of pics.... I’ll have to be selective. 

Both Sony and Fuji cameras have a 58mm thread, allowing me to mount filters and lenses, and thus further improve their capabilities. Although, as you'll read in another post, my gear has been rather limited to UV+CPL filters, and macro-attachments, forgoing until further notice, any telephoto lens that would've further expanded my reach of far away subjects. 

In choosing this upgrade, I made sure I could continue using my filters, and not having to buy whole new ones for another model's different diameter - and also made sure that my model had those grooves to begin with, because not all models do.  

On a side note, I seldom use my Nokia Lumia 535′s camera, but this isn’t a particularly good camera for any smartphone. Even my wife’s Lumia 630′s camera is a whole lot better. I’m not even sure at the resolution, but I do see my results blurry, and I have no zoom whatever.

Specific issues prevent me from sharing much of these shots on instagram, which takes me a lot of time to get around. One reason why I prefer to have a blog is to post more than one pic at a time, and from my PC instead of very long process to manage even one photo on insta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment